Inspirations from the Holy Land K/N/A Life in the Married Lane

This blog began as a way to keep in touch from abroad, but has developed into a way to keep in touch from married life (which seems to be trickier to do!).

1.6.06

50 pounds

This morning I did a test run of the luggage situation. It used to be that for international flights one could take any amount. Then it was restricted to 70 pounds. Just recently it was lowered to fifty. How does one pack for a year's trip and remain within those parameters?

Well, there are a few options. The first is to send items with other people, which I took advantage of. The next is to live minimally. That's a little more complicated. Even though I know I don't really need three pairs of black Shabbos shoes, somehow I can't shake the urge to take them all with me.

When I spent a semester abroad in my undergrad years I took way too much stuff. It made the return trip challenging to say the least. I had to pay something ridiculous like 200 Deutschmarks to get my luggage on the plane. So, I'm doubting the wisdom of having both my suitcases to maximum capacity on this trip. However, it seems like human nature (or at least my nature) to see the limits and push right up against them.

Less than a week remains before I embark on this incredible journey which lays before me. I'm facing an interesting mixture of known and unknown. On one hand, it's a culture with which I an unfamiliar. On the other hand, it's all family.

Avital, who I miss terribly (she's been in Israel since late January/early February), is planning to meet me at the airport in Tel Aviv. When she left I told her that it wasn't exactly fair that she was going on her own, forging her own way, while I was just going to come later and reap the benefits of her hard work and experience. She's setting up my first Shabbos for me, the tzedekes.

Have a great Shavuos!

***

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

50 pounds is completely unfair!

We look forward to reading about your experiences as you take steps along your life-changing journey. You are an inspiration!
SGCC

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rivki - I know what you mean about reading an email and meaning to get back to it, and it takes something like 3 months! Anyway, the three boys and I (okay, 4 boys if you count the one I'm married to) are looking forward to reading your blog and keeping in touch. May you have a safe journey!

Love,
Sara

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

6:48 AM  
Blogger tznius-lady said...

I just posted Girls’ Shabbos Shoes on my Metzias blog, for $9.99 please see the post and help people save money for Yom Tov. http://www.tzniusmetzias.com

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home