Inspirations from the Holy Land K/N/A Life in the Married Lane

This blog began as a way to keep in touch from abroad, but has developed into a way to keep in touch from married life (which seems to be trickier to do!).

29.6.06

in the swing of things

First things first - check out the flowers which are blooming outside my dorm!!!

Though it’s only been little more than a week since I’ve posted, it feels like much longer. Classes are in full swing, leaving scant time for much else. My free time has been spent either studying, reading, playing music, exercising (walking – don’t get too surprised) and, of course, eating.

As I try to recall specific events to relay to you, it seems I have to reach far back into the depths of my memory. Whether that’s more a comment on the incredible amount of activity here or the preoccupied nature of my mind, I’m not sure.

There are many girls here who are very talented. One girl I’m friendly with is an accomplished musician who writes her own songs. We collaborated last week, she on guitar, I on clarinet. It was so satisfying! Last night we went for a nice walk (lasting around a half an hour) in the neighborhood.

Also, there are many girls here who are on a similar page as me – a big comfort. Relating to other girls who chose to lead the life of an Orthodox Jew after living in the “secular” world is really a big treat. I didn’t realize how encouraging it is to be literally surrounded by girls who are at various stages of “frumming out” (becoming religious). Baruch Hashem.

Recent events in my life:

Last Thursday, (and tonight, b’ezras Hahsem), I went to Yad Eliezer, an organization which provides food and necessities to needy families. Last week maybe ten to a dozen girls went, and, in less than two hours, assembled 150 boxes.

Also, my roommate Shoshana, a good friend of Avital, returned from spending two weeks in Chutz L’Aretz (the world outside Israel). She is such a ray of sunshine – I’m thrilled she’s my roommie!

I met with Rebbetzin Levitan and Rabbi Bear both this week. Each meeting was very, very nice.

Monday was with Rebbetzin Levitan. We had met previously, at R’Yari’s seminar, so there was already a level of comfort there. She teaches about Middos (character traits, and, more importantly, character development), and is phenomenal!

(Really, all the faculty here is amazing. Each class is like a diamond).

Meeting with Rabbi Bear was a little more nerve-wracking, mainly because I don’t really know him and wasn’t sure what to expect. I had attended a few of his shiurim (lectures) on the Kuzari, and felt somehow compelled to sign up for a meeting time. So, when I met with him Tuesday, I wasn’t exactly sure why. Baruch Hashem, he put me instantly at ease, and we spent the half-hour getting to know each other. Another meeting is scheduled for next week.

I’m beginning to understand more of what it means to have a rabbi you can go to who knows you, where you come from, and how to guide you. Of course, in St. Louis there existed relationships with rabbis, but since I came into the community in the manner I did, each relationship (with a few exceptions) was tinged with a shade of reserve.

Here, I feel freer, and Rabbi Bear had the personality with which I felt totally at ease. I was really amazed that I felt so instantly comfortable. Obviously, I was supposed to sign up.

Tuesday evening a girl in our building got married, so a large number of Neve girls went to go dance. It was an amazing experience – my first time at a wedding in Israel. One of the highlights of the evening was when the chasson (groom) sang Ayshes Chayil (a traditional song expounding upon how wonderful us women-folk are) to his kalla (bride).

Yesterday two new things happened: 1) I was moved to level four and 2) I met Avital and Aviva Grunberger in Geulah (a major shopping thoroughfare).

The former was surprising to me, as I was previously in level two (I’m not sure there is a level three, come to think of it). Even more so, Rabbi Chalkowski (the dean of Neve) teaches the Chumash (Bible) course, making it quite thrilling.

We’re in Parsha Noach, and, in addition to reading and translating the posukim (verses), we also read and translate the Rashi and Sforno. For today’s class he even assigned Ramban. This is great! I love it!

Additionally, I get to come to the level Shabbaton in Ramat Beit Shemesh. I even get to prepare a dvar torah for the third meal, so I’m very excited to start that! This parsha would have been my bas mitzvah parsha, had I had one. Incredible!

The latter event (meeting Aviva and Avital) was just fun! Aviva was so cute (she’s here for camp – which is even in Har Nof!), and kept repeating how strange it was to see Avital and me in this context! Indeed.

Okay – I need to get back to campus and get some sleep. Shabbos is coming!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Rivki, thank you so much for this blog! I feel like I'm re-living Israel through your vivid descriptions and enthusiasm. I love your writing style, because I can hear your voice so clearly! I miss you, but I know you are in the right place. May we all be zoche to come join you in Eretz Yisrael... very soon!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home